Starting in 2022, insurance companies and plans, providers, and health care facilities must follow new rules that protect consumers from surprise medical bills. If you have a question about these rules or believe the rules aren’t being followed, contact the No Surprises Help Desk at 1-800-985-3059 from 8 am to 8 pm EST, 7 days a week, to submit your question or a complaint. Or, you can submit a complaint online, below. We may ask you to provide supporting documentation like medical bills and your Explanation of Benefits. We’ll send a confirmation email when we receive your complaint to notify you of next steps and let you know if we need any additional information. To check on the status of a complaint, or to see what documentation is needed, contact the No Surprises Help Desk.
What we can do:
- Review your complaint to make sure your insurance company, medical provider, or health care facility followed surprise billing rules.
- Investigate and enforce federal laws and policies under our jurisdiction.
- Try to find patterns of problems that may need further review.
- Help you understand what documentation you need to submit or what next steps you should take.
- Help answer your questions or direct you to someone who can.
What we can’t do:
- Require medical providers or health care facilities to adjust their charges.
- Act as your lawyer or give you legal advice.
- Make medical judgments or determine if further treatment is necessary.
- Determine the value of a claim, or the amount owed to you.
- Address issues we can’t legally enforce.
If you still need help with your health insurance and have a problem or question, contact your state Consumer Assistance Program. These programs help consumers experiencing problems with their health insurance or seeking to learn about health coverage options.
For more help
- Call the No Surprises Help Desk at 1-800-985-3059.
- Get help in a language other than English. Information about how to access these services is available through the No Surprises Help Desk.
- Call the No Surprises Help Desk to get this information in an accessible format, like large print, Braille, or audio, at no cost to you.